Sunday, September 16, 2012

2 Little Apples finally fall from the tree


A sigh of relief this weekend as I finally sewed a label onto the second of the two quilts I made using a layer cake of Aneela Hoey's super-popular line Little Apples. I bought the layer cake almost a year ago at the Brisbane Craft & Quilt Fair from Brenda at Widebacks. At the time she kindly gave me advice about how to do a disappearing 9 patch quilt.

Adding in some white homespun, I made the first in time for Mia's 4th birthday and her first day of kindy - in JANUARY this year! I also made a matching pillow with some left over squares of Aneela's Sherbert Pips.


Aww.


Since then Lily's has gathered dust, partially quilted. Other projects, workshops and life meant I've only just completed it.

Mia's I had crosshatched:



Lily's I free motion quilted - my first attempt ever (so long ago you can see I'm on my old machine!).



Whilst I'm not happy with the stitching on the back, I think I got the hang of it by the end.

Mia's (on the right) is backed in Saffron Craig's Love Heart Fairies but I'm embarrassed to say I didn't save the selvedge of Lily's backing fabric so I'm not sure what it is!





1 comment:

  1. These are beautiful, Melissa. I haven't made quilts for my girls yet either so feel inspired to get cracking on their personal stashes. I've just found out about the disappearing 9 patch too and am dying to make one. And....I just bought myself my first stippling foot for my birthday. It's hidden in Scott's sock drawer ready for wrapping by small hands. I'm so desperate to stop quilting in the ditch I've been doing wavy lines with my normal walking foot. I swear I got a huge quilters' rush the first time I tried it. So good to do curves!

    ReplyDelete