Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas crafting craziness!

Well, Christmas Day has passed and I managed to make almost all the projects I'd planned (I'll make a Christmas fairy wall hanging for us and stockings for girls next year!).

Fairy wall hangings for friends & family. I used the Christmas Fairy panels by Michael Miller. I also made Christmas cards out of this fabric.





Moopy Bunny, inspired by my friend Anna's crafting and using a pattern in the book More Softies. I used all fabrics out of my stash. It was for my 6 month old cousin Charlotte.



Babushka dolls for Mia, using the gorgeous Kristen Doran Matryoshka Doll fabric panel.



And a little bag to keep them in:



Bag for Lily. I used the pattern Mermaid's Memory Bag in Homespun magazine, created by their 2008 Young Designer of the Year Emily James. She made it in blues and greys but I knew only pinks would cut it for Lily! The handle can become a necklace and is made out of glass beads, buttons and plastic beads.





I was determined to make a quilt for Paul, even though I only started a week before Christmas! Several months ago I had spied a great design by Linda Roberts in Down Under Quilts magazine. She had been inspired by an optical illusion on the website www.coolopticalillusions.com. Her project featured what reminded me of a football (soccer ball) and used purple and yellow (Paul's West End Partisan's team's colours!). I just had to make it. I machined sewed on the binding for the first time (thanks Sar!) and I am really happy with it. As much as i enjoy the serenity of hand sewing the binding on, I have a feeling I'll be machining from now on! Paul loves it.



And lastly, I was also determined to whip up these two table runners on Christmas Eve, one for us and one for our neighbours. I used precut charm squares in the range Crazy Eight by Sandy Gervais for Moda.





I feel a bit lost now without a project/quilt on the go! However I am already starting to think about a quilt for Mia's birthday next month. She's the only member of our family now who doesn't have a quilt! I'm going to make her one using Michael Miller's Flower Fairy Blossom Fairy panels and the large Apple Blossom Fairy panel. These two fairies sitting on a branch remind me of my girls! There are also new special babies arriving earthside early next year, so I won't be idle for long!

1 comment:

  1. Oh My Goodness Melissa! You have been sooooo incredibly productive! I am seriously impressed by the sheer volume of your work, not to mention the beauty... Paul's quilt is absolutely amazing. I don't know what else to say about it - it's incredible! Congratulations on all of your awesome achievements so early on in your quilting journey. xxx

    ReplyDelete